Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

“Fulfill” – An Exchange and An Example

HopeFulfilled Below is a brief comment on a comment that I made earlier this evening on Facebook.  I’d momentarily thought about writing a lengthier blog post around the word “fulfilled,” but I realize that this is already well covered elsewhere.

I think that the interaction speaks for itself.  It is in response to one of the most common arguments made by people who believe that the Christians are still under the Law of Moses.

More importantly, this arguing over the meaning of words is typical of fringe and cult belief systems.  As Joyfully Growing in Grace articulates so well in the article, “Hebrew Roots Movement – Messin’ With the Word”:

“One of the things that is really important to be aware of regarding this and other heretical movements is that they engage in the re-definition of terms.  Once that is accomplished, those re-defined terms become fields in which seeds of questionable doctrine can be cultivated.  And it’s the perfect set up for the same thing cults do: Convince you that what you know isn’t true, or is “incomplete”, then come in with fresh revelation based on previously “hidden” information.”

FACEBOOK COMMENT:

Do you believe fulfill means "destroy"? If so, here is the scripture you're talking about: Jesus did NOT say, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to destroy." ~Matt 5:17 AT (Apostate Translation)

ME:

Nobody said "destroy".

Fulfill = as in "I owe a debt, and on the day said debt is paid in full (either by me or someone else), the obligation of the debt is FULFILLED. Meaning I no longer owe it, and I am no longer under the terms of the debt. Nothing about the former debt can ever be used against me."

It doesn't mean the historical fact that I previously owed a debt goes away, but the debt loses any power or authority over me the moment it is FULFILLED.

Another example - I place an order with a vendor on Amazon, and I've paid for it, but I haven't received it yet. When the vendor ships it to me, he has FULFILLED the order.

So it is with Christ -- when He declared "It is finished!," the power and legal authority of the Law was FULFILLED.

I share this partly because it is an example of why we need to preach, defend, and confirm the Good News about Jesus Christ.

“Dear friends, I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the faith that God has entrusted once for all time to his holy people.” (Jude 1:3)

For more Scriptural precedent for addressing false teaching, check out: http://www.openbible.info/topics/exposing_false_teachers

Love in Christ,
Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment